Healthy Super Bowl Sandwiches & Snack Recipes
Here are some healthy Super Bowl sandwiches and snack recipes to enjoy while you watch the Colts get clobbered by the Saints (New Orleans has better sandwiches than Indianapolis–hence our pick).
Big Fat Healthy Submarine Sandwich
- foot long Italian or French bread roll
- ½ lb. of Boars Head Lower Sodium Skinless Turkey
- 4 slices (about 3 oz.) of Boar’s Head Lower Sodium Lower Fat American Cheese
- 1 carrot
- 1 tomato
- a handful of lettuce
- ½ cucumber
- several pitted black olives
- low fat mayonnaise ( we like Hellmann’s Mayonnaise Dressing with extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 or 2 Tbsp. Newman’s Own Lighten Up Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- salt and pepper to taste to taste
Grate the carrot. Slice the cucumber, tomatoes, olives and lettuce.
Cut the roll down the middle but not all the way through (so it’s like a hinge). Spread a layer of the mayonnaise on the lower portion of the roll. Add the turkey slices and then add the cheese. Top with the vegetables and add the balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Close roll, slice in quarters, turn on the Super Bowl and eat!
Big Fat Healthy Meatball Sub Sandwich
- 1 pound of ground white meat turkey or ground lean beef
- ½ cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of minced garlic (minced garlic in jar works great)
- 1 jar (16 oz) of tomato sauce
- 1 loaf French bread
- ½ cup of shredded lower fat mozzarella cheese
Mix the meat, crackers and garlic in a bowl. Roll into ping-pong ball size meatballs. Cook in skillet on medium heat until browned all the way through.
Drain fat from skillet and add the tomato sauce. While sauce is warming and flavoring the meatballs, slice the French bread in half and scoop out a little of the inner crumb (soft interior of bread). Toast the bread slightly under broiler. Remove bread from oven, add the meatballs and sauce onto the bread, add the shredded mozzarella and top with other half of bread. (the warm sauce and toasted bread will melt the mozzarella). Slice into quarters, turn on the Super Bowl and eat!
Big Fat Healthy Guacamole
- 4 Haas Avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 seeded and diced Roma tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- finely chopped seeded jalapeno pepper (tongue test for heat and add to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Mash Avocado to desired consistency. (We like it fairly chunky.) Stir in other ingredients. Turn on the Super Bowl and serve.
Big Fat Healthy Salsa
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 large vidalia onion
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 cup red vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Dice all ingredients and combine with vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least one hour, turn on the Super Bowl and serve.
Here’s a healthier delivery system for you guacamole and salsa:
Big Fat Healthy Pita Chip Recipe
- 8 ounces of your favorite whole wheat or whole grain pita bread
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- In addition, add any of the following spices: onion powder, garlic, taco seasoning
Cut pita bread into 1 to 2 inch pieces. Lightly drizzle with the olive oil and seasoning. Lay pieces on baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes (until lightly brown and crispy).
We hope you enjoy our healthy Super Bowl sandwiches and snack recipes!